It was at Slice High Street when I had a taste of this yummy veggie food. I've always been a fan of Monggo Guisado (Sauteed Mung Bean Soup), and we always eat it with fried galunggong or dried fish. But having monggo with curry was something new for me.
|Slice's Monggo with Spinach and Tofu|
with sides of Mixed Brown Rice, Roasted Peanuts and Fried Garlic
Monggo is relatively cheap. At Rustan's Supermarket, it was P82.00 per kilo. It's probably cheaper in other supermarkets and even at the public market.
A recipe for 4 using monggo will only call for about 250 grams, so that's only about P20. That is less than $0.50 folks. Very affordable right?
Here is a recipe, inspired by Slice, for Monggo Curry Guisado.
* 250 grams monggo beans (mung beans), cleaned and washed
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 T minced garlic
* 1 T olive oil
* 1-1/2 T curry powder
* a bunch of baby spinach
* 1/4 cup of tofu, cut into tiny cubes
* 1 cup coconut milk
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the cleaned monggo beans and cook for about 30 minutes to an hour until the beans are soft. Make sure that the pot always have water in it to prevent drying out.
2. Heat another pan. Add olive oil. Sautee the garlic and onions. Quickly stir fry the tofu and set aside.
3. Add monggo beans with a little bit of water. Mix in the curry, salt and pepper.
4. Put in the coconut milk and about a half cup of water. Stir in spinach until cooked.
5. Top with the fried tofu and enjoy.
Perfect pairing with fried fish! Yum!