I've been eating minimal white carbs due to pregnancy. We now use whole wheat bread instead of white bread and brown rice for white rice.
Here's a whole wheat bread pudding recipe that's good for breakfast. It's not too sweet and you can top it with any fruit you like, and add honey or condensed milk for extra sweetness.
- 10 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspooon salt
- 3 cups milk
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9"x3" baking pan.
- Combine bread cubes, butter, cinnamon and raisins in the baking pan. Mix well.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, then add sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Mix in the milk, and pour over the bread mixture.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and bake for 25 minutes.
- Top with fresh fruits, and honey or condensed milk.