Here is the promised strawberry cupcake recipe that I experimented on and turned out yummy. It's my first time piping, so the frosting didn't turn out exactly as I hoped it would be. Hopefully, its yumminess will make up for the piping disaster. Enjoy!
Adapted from Sky High Cakes
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam, preferably with strawberry chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line your cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Cream together the butter and sugar on medium high speed for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time. Scrape the sides of the bowl after each addition to mix well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in another bowl. Add this dry mixture to the batter in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Mix until combined. Fold in the strawberry jam.
- Using a scooper, fill each cup in the pan about two thirds full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. To check if thoroughly cooked, a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from A Baked Creation
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons honey (I used acacia)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
- Beat the cream cheese, butter, honey, vanilla and salt together.
- Gradually add the sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Spread or pipe on cooled cupcakes.